Indiana Room Hours of Service*:
Monday - Closed; Tues. & Wed.: 1-5pm. Thurs.: 1- 5pm; 6-8pm.
Fri.: 10am-12pm; 1-5pm; First Saturday of each month 10am-12pm; 1-5pm.
All other Saturdays, 1-4pm, by appointment only. To reserve a time, researchers MUST make an appointment with the Indiana Room librarian, at least two weeks prior to the Saturday of your visit.
* subject to change
(219) 886-2484 ext. 315 David Hess, Indiana Room Librarian
PLANNING A VISIT - Guidelines for the Use of the Indiana Room
FREE Geneology & History Databases:
- African American Heritage (only available at Gary Public Library locations)
Search essential historical records for African Americans, including Federal Census, Marriage and Cohabitation Records, Military Draft and Service Records, Registers of Slaves and Free(d) Persons of Color, Freedman's Bank, and more.
- Ancestry (only available at Gary Public Library locations)
Family name information. Over a billion names in more than 4,600 unique databases. Gary City Directories Available Online through Ancestry! 1908, 1911, 1913, 1918, 1920, 1922, 1923, 1925, 1927, 1929, 1930, 1935, 1937, 1939, 1941, 1945, 1948, 1952, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960.
- Indiana History Online provides a core of primary source documents for the study of Indiana history, packaged with an engaging user interface that provides students and researchers multiple ways of accessing the content. With state and regional histories, travel guides, biographies, speeches and more, the collection provides a range of primary documents.
- The Gary Public Library began collecting local history items sometime between 1907-1922, when the library’s first director, Louis J. Bailey, was in charge. These materials included books published during the early days of Gary and/or Northwest Indiana, maps, pamphlets, etc. The Local History department (now the Indiana Room) was given a room of its own in the early 1940s. Since then, the collection has continued to grow and now includes thousands of items.
- The Indiana Room collection includes books, maps, newspaper clippings, newspapers, magazines, newsletters, microfilm, blueprints, photographs, government documents, yearbooks and various other items that pertain to Gary, Northwest Indiana, the state of Indiana as a whole, and the Chicago metropolitan area.
- Gary Public Library Archives - Reading's Alive Newsletter Archives
- The Indiana Room accepts donations to its collection including yearbooks and photographs which relate to Gary, N.W. Indiana, or the Chicago metropolitan area. 2019