Databases are available for use from home and on Gary Public Library public service computers.
- Career Transitions
A comprehensive career resource that allows you to search for and track jobs, create targeted resumes and cover letters, practice and master interview techniques, explore and identify career paths according to your interests, experience and what’s in demand, and find schools and education/training programs, Career Transitions is your one-stop-shop for finding a new job/career and expert tips on how to set yourself apart in an increasingly competitive job market.
- Gale LegalForms
Need a legal form? Sample Letter? Legal definition? This resource provides FREE access thousands of downloadable national and state-specific legal forms, sample letters, legal definitions, legal questions and answers, and a law digest, available 24/7 at your convenience. Find everything from wills, estates, or divorce to power of attorney, landlord-tenant, and incorporation.
- Small Business Resource Center
Search this database to learn how to start, finance or manage your small business. Resources include; sample business plans, how to guides, articles and websites.
BACK TO TOP
CHILDREN & YOUTH:
- ABCmouse ABCmouse.com: With 5,000+ interactive books, educational games, puzzles, and other learning activities, ABCmouse.com's award-winning online curriculum is an invaluable resource for young learners (ages 2-7+). From Age of Learning, Inc. (for use on GPL computers only)
- NEW! BRAINFUSE Online homework help and so much more
- NEW! KHAN ACADEMY A personalized learning resource for all ages. Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content.
TumbleBookLibrary is a collection of animated, talking picture books for elementary age students.
TumbleBookCloud Junior is an online collection of read-along titles for grades 3-8. It contains early reader chapter books, children's classics, graphic novels, children's audio books and National Geographic videos -- many of which are paired with e-books. Sentences are highlighted as they are being read aloud and pages turn automatically. Books may also be read manually.
TumbleBookCloud is an online collection of over 600 titles for grades 7th through 12th. It features read-alongs, graphic novels, videos and more!
- NEW! WORLD BOOK ONLINE World Book Online goes beyond encyclopedia articles with access to multimedia features, related content, comprehension questions and multiple additional sources built in. For Kids, Teens and Adults!
BACK TO TOP
- U.S. Government Printing Office
Use GPO Access to search or browse official, full-text information from the three branches of the Federal Government. Databases are updated based on their print equivalent and generally date back to 1994.
BACK TO TOP
GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
- African American Heritage (only available at Gary Public Library locations)
Search essential historical records for African Americans, including Federal Census, Marriage and Cohabitation Records, Military Draft and Service Records, Registers of Slaves and Free(d) Persons of Color, Freedman's Bank, and more.
- Ancestry (only available at Gary Public Library locations)
Family name information. Over a billion names in more than 4,600 unique databases.
- Indiana History Online provides a core of primary source documents for the study of Indiana history, packaged with an engaging user interface that provides students and researchers multiple ways of accessing the content. With state and regional histories, travel guides, biographies, speeches and more, the collection provides a range of primary documents.
BACK TO TOP
- Health and Wellness Resource Center and Alternative Health Module
Find alternative medicine-focused magazines, journals, newspapers, definitions, directories, videos, & reference information on Medicine, Nutrition, Diseases, Public Health, Pregnancy, Herbal remedies, etc. Included are links to diet, cancer, health assessment sites & government databases. Easily access 700+ videos from Healthology, Inc.'s consumer health video library. Spanish-language videos are available. The material contained in this Resource Center is intended for informational purposes only.
- Nursing Resource Center
Designed for nursing students, the Nursing Resource Center brings together in an easy-to-use interface disease and drug overviews, care plans, relevant journal results and animated anatomy and physiology diagrams to complement the core encyclopedia texts. The information is written in accessible language for students completing class assignments and preparing for clinicals as they learn how to care for and treat patients. Search results are returned in tabs that correspond to steps in the nursing process.
BACK TO TOP
LANGUAGE & LITERATURE:
Una colección de revistas hispánicas con textos completos. Abarca negocios, salud, tecnología, cultura, temas de actualidad y otras materias.
Covering world literature and authors throughout history, LitFinder contains a wealth of literary works including over 150,000 full-text poems and 800,000+ poetry citations, as well as short stories, speeches, and plays. For students or patrons seeking a deeper view into literature, LitFinder also includes secondary materials like biographies, images, and more! From Shakespeare's sonnets to poems by Donald Hall or short stories from Edgar Allan Poe to works by Annie Proulx, LitFinder has you covered.
- Mango Language An interactive database that provides step by step lesson plans for more than 40 different languages. Each lesson combines real life situation and audio from native speakers with simple, clear instructions. There are also over a dozen English as a Second Language courses.
BACK TO TOP
- Freegal Music Offers access to millions of songs from thousands of labels including the labels of Sony Music Entertainment. There is no software to download. There is a weekly limit of 5 downloads (each video counts as 2 downloads). The site is set up to browse or search for your favorite music or artist. DOWNLOAD THE APP!
- NEW! Flipster (Magazines) Easy-to-use digital magazine newsstand. Sign in with your Gary Public Library card if prompted. DOWNLOAD THE APP!
NEW! Hoopla (ebooks, audiobooks, comics, movies, music, and television)
NEWS & POLITICS:
- Gale Biography In Context
Gale Biography in Context is an engaging online experience for those seeking contextual information on the world's most influential people. The new solution merges Gale's authoritative reference content (including Lives & Perspectives) with periodicals and multimedia organized into a user-friendly portal experience while also allowing users to search for people based on name, occupation, nationality, ethnicity, birth/death dates and places, or gender as well as keyword and full text.
- NEW! NewsBank (Click here to use in Library) (Click here to use from home)
Search current and archived coverage of issues, events, people, government, sports and more with the largest collection of full-text U.S. newspapers. Local archived newspapers include the POST-TRIBUNE and a variety of Indiana newspapers. Also available, USA TODAY. View and print staff-written articles, obituaries, editorials, announcements, real estate, and other sections.
- Opposing Viewpoints In Context
Information and opinions on hundreds of today's hottest social issues. In this resource, you will find up-to-date viewpoint articles, topic overviews, full-text magazines, academic journals, news articles, primary source documents, statistics, images, videos, audio files and links to authoritative websites. Great for students!
BACK TO TOP
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
Print material delivered in a digital format! Easily cross-search more than a hundred reference titles and encyclopedias with content in subjects such as history, business, medicine and health, multicultural studies and more.
- Reference USA Business and residential information for reference and research, continuously updated from more than 5,000 public sources.
- NEW! World Book Online World Book Online goes beyond encyclopedia articles with access to multimedia features, related content, comprehension questions and multiple additional sources built in.
BACK TO TOP
INSPIRE is Indiana's Virtual Library on the Internet. INSPIRE is a collection of commercial databases and other information resources that can be accessed by Indiana residents. Please see INSPIRE web site for more information on access from home computers. For FREE GED practice tests and more use the following directions:  Click INSPIRE (a separate page will open)  From the Inspire page, click Gale Testing & Education Reference Center icon (near the bottom of page)  Choose from the many available resources.
BACK TO TOP